Click play below to hear 5 tips for creating a personalized lesson planning system:
Today marks the 100th episode of the Stellar Teacher Podcast! I’m so thankful and proud of this milestone and appreciate each and every one of you for making it possible, so thank you! I love this podcast and wouldn’t be doing it without your support and love.
Now, we are continuing our two part mini series about lesson planning. Last week, I discussed the mindset shift that needs to take place in order to tackle writing lessons, which is the first step before moving on to practical tips regarding your lesson planning system. So in today’s episode, I’m sharing 5 tips for creating a personalized lesson planning system.
If you remember from last week’s episode, I discussed two goals when it comes to lesson planning: feeling good about the amount of time spent on lesson plans and feeling good about the quality of the content of your lesson plans. Both goals still hold true for today’s topic, but will practically help you in achieving these goals.
When it comes to creating a personalized lesson planning system, I believe there are 5 things you should think about and put into place. Those 5 tips are:
- Figure out your lesson planning preferences and strengths
- Determine the minimum time requirement needed to complete each lesson planning task
- Establish specific lesson planning time blocks into your weekly schedule
- Set hard and fast boundaries
- Always plan with future you in mind
After delivering each tip, I explain how to effectively accomplish each tip and the steps required to be successful. Be prepared to take a deep dive into your lesson planning habits in order to make an effective change in the amount of time spent on lesson planning.
In order to create the perfect lesson planning system that works for you, it’s important to be honest with yourself and get real about your lesson planning habits. By taking the time to reflect, do some brain dumps, know your strengths, and have a clear and positive mindset, you will have a well-established lesson planning system that works for you!
In this episode on creating a personalized lesson planning system, I share:
- Why readjusting your mind and thoughts is the first step before changing your actions
- A reminder of the two goals you should set when it comes to lesson planning
- The importance of finishing your lessons, rather than always working on them
- Why creating set boundaries also helps future you with lesson planning tasks
- How being honest and real with yourself helps you create the perfect lesson planning system that works for you
- Check out the Stellar Teacher Reading Membership
- If you’re enjoying this podcast, please leave a review on Apple Podcasts!
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 99, 3 Mindset Shifts Teachers Should Make Regarding Lesson Planning
- Lesson Ideas for Teaching Theme in Upper Elementary
- The 4 Types of Reading Mini Lessons You Should Be Teaching
Connect with me:
More About Stellar Teacher Podcast:
Welcome to the Stellar Teacher Podcast! We believe teaching literacy is a skill. It takes a lot of time, practice, and effort to be good at it. This podcast will show you how to level up your literacy instruction and make a massive impact with your students, all while having a little fun!
Your host, Sara Marye, is a literacy specialist passionate about helping elementary teachers around the world pass on their love of reading to their students. She has over a decade of experience working as a classroom teacher and school administrator. Sara has made it her mission to create high quality no-fluff resources and lesson ideas that are both meaningful and engaging for young readers.
Each week, Sara and her guests will share their knowledge, tips, and tricks so that you can feel confident in your ability to transform your students into life-long readers.