One of my favorite things about hosting this podcast is the conversations I have with my listeners who love literacy as much as I do! I was excited to see that my most popular episode yet was my 47th episode that focused on nonfiction. Whether you really love nonfiction or really need help with it, I decided to tackle one of the most challenging nonfiction reading skills in this episode, which is summarizing.
It is so important to take each student’s reading skills into account while teaching those higher level skills. That’s why I’ve developed strategies that can help build confidence in all students no matter their comprehension abilities. Teaching literacy skills really requires a toolbox of strategies and skills for your students to be able to utilize independently. I’ve been loving the discussions that began following the last nonfiction episode, so let me know which of these nonfiction summarizing strategies were useful to you!
In this episode I share:
- Why summarizing nonfiction is so challenging
- 6 important reminders to teach to your students when writing summaries
- 3 strategies to make your students more confident
- How to use wh-question stems when summarizing
- Check out the Stellar Teacher Reading Membership
- Summarizing Nonfiction Small Group Lessons and Reading Passages
- Nonfiction Text Structure Posters and Anchor Charts
- Nonfiction Text Features Posters and Anchor Charts (20 charts)
- Nonfiction Reading Reference Tabs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Nonfiction Text Structure: The Ultimate Roadmap for Reading
- Identifying the Main Idea of a Nonfiction Text: 7 Strategies That Work!
- Engaging Text Prep Tips
- 3 Keys to Unlocking Comprehension
Connect with me:
- Join my newsletter
- Join the Upper Elementary Reading Teachers Facebook group
- Shop my TPT store here
- Instagram: @thestellarteachercompany
- Facebook: The Stellar Teacher Company
More About Stellar Teacher Podcast:
Welcome to the Stellar Teacher Podcast! We believe teaching literacy is a skill. It takes a lot of time, practice, and effort to be good at it. This podcast will show you how to level up your literacy instruction and make a massive impact with your students, all while having a little fun!
Your host, Sara Marye, is a literacy specialist passionate about helping elementary teachers around the world pass on their love of reading to their students. She has over a decade of experience working as a classroom teacher and school administrator. Sara has made it her mission to create high quality no-fluff resources and lesson ideas that are both meaningful and engaging for young readers.
Each week, Sara and her guests will share their knowledge, tips, and tricks so that you can feel confident in your ability to transform your students into life-long readers.